Thanksgiving is a month away. WHAAAAT?! I know I'm freaking out a little bit because this time of year always seems to go by so fast. Every year we host Thanksgiving for our extended family. I love making the turkey. The smells of sage, butter and citrus bubbling in the oven are heaven to me. I remember being SO nervous when I made my first one. I think I read the directions for the recipe 20 times to make sure I didn't miss anything.
If this is one of the first times you are making a turkey or if you are hosting a small dinner gathering for friends and family I highly recommend simply cooking a turkey breast in your slow cooker instead. It's faster, easier and a no fail approach to making delicious turkey for your Thanksgiving feast. Plus, your over is free to cook all of your tasty sides.
When creating a Thanksgiving feast for my Home for the Holidays post a month back, Brendon discovered this amazing recipe on Pinterest. We tried it and it was SOOOOO good. It looked beautiful too because you crisp up the skin in the oven after it has fully cooked in your slow cooker. Just make a tasty gravy to go with it, and you're set! These are pictures of how ours turned out. Be sure to visit Recipe Tin Eats for their recipe notes, nutrition information and various cooking times depending on how large your turkey breast is.
JUICY SLOW COOKER TURKEY BREAST
by Nagi | RecipeTin Eats
PREP TIME 15 mins
COOK TIME 8 hours
TOTAL TIME 8 hours 15 mins
Serves: 8-12 depending on size
- 2 kg / 4 lb turkey breast bone in (if using frozen, thaw it)
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 1 onion (brown, yellow or white), unpeeled, cut in half
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 5 sprigs of thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme leaves)
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 grinds of black pepper
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 - 2 cups chicken stock/broth (or water)
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Place Rub ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pat the turkey dry all over with paper towels. Slather with the Rub, using most for the side and top.
- Place the garlic, onion, thyme and 1 half lemon face down in the slow cooker. Place the turkey breast on top so it is elevated.
- Squeeze over the remaining ½ lemon and then push it down the side.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove turkey from the slow cooker and let it rest for 20 minutes before crisping the skin.
Crisp the Skin
- Preheat gril/broiler to high.
- Place in oven 1 foot from the heat source.
- Remove turkey breast from the slow cooker into a heatproof serving dish.
- Place on the oven shelf and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is crispy. Keep an eye on it - it browns very quickly!
- Serve immediately with gravy on the side.